ASUS ROG Maximus XII Extreme Z490
Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme Best motherboard in gaming.
ASUS’ Maximus line of boards has always been a special breed with the Extreme being the XOC variant. Now, the Apex takes the XOC spot while the Extreme becomes the top model intended to show the ROG teams engineering prowess with cutting edge features indicative of what they think would benefit enthusiast’s level rigs.
Expertly tuned by our ROG Engineers to bring you the ultimate performance. Made to be extreme as the name suggested, is positioned for max performance water-cooling enthusiasts. Combining hardware and software, to achieve optimized overclocking, high-speed memory support and comprehensive water and fan cooling controls, Maximus XII Extreme delivers ultimate performance combined with efficient, reliable operation.
ROG Engineers Developed and extensively-tested intelligent software solutions to ensure your system stays in optimal Conditions
- AI Overlocking – Tuning is now faster and smarter than ever before. AI Overclocking profiles the CPU and cooling to predict the optimal configuration for each system.
- AI Cooling – AI Cooling automatically manages and controls motherboard connected fans, ensuring the most efficient settings depending on the current system load and temperature.
- AI Networking – GameFirst VI optimizes and organizes network bandwidth, effectively reducing jitter and eliminating spike lag to ensure smooth online gameplay.
ASUS AI Overclocking is an intelligent utility that helps you get the most out of your build by automatically profiling your CPU and cooling system to predict optimal voltage and frequency settings.
Accessible via the AI Suite software in Windows or directly through the UEFI, the intuitive AI Overclocking user interface enables users of all levels. A range of customizable settings are available for seasoned overclockers, and an auto-tuning option is available for beginners.
AI Overclocking At a Glance:
- Designed by Experts – At the heart of AI Overclocking is a proprietary algorithm developed by ROG R&D engineers who worked with world-renowned overclockers to create a tool for users of all levels.
- Predictive Edge – The algorithm analyses your CPU and cooling system and, based on what it finds, predicts optimal settings. The software then uses these settings to automatically guide the clocking process, balancing frequency and voltage.
- Real Time Adjustment – The software monitors workload, system temperature, fan speed and power draw every minute, and makes real-time adjustments to ensure ongoing optimal performance.
ASUS AI Cooling function will automatically manage and control motherboard-connected fans to ensure optimal settings based on current system load and temperature.
Self-Adaptive Fan Tuning
CPU temperature detection – AI Cooling detects CPU temperatures and uses a proprietary algorithm to calculate the lowest fan speed required to effectively cool the system and keep fan noise down.
Automated optimization – Under stable system loads, the software then automatically lowers fan* speed to the optimal setting, decreasing fan noise without compromising performance.
Ongoing monitoring – AI Cooling continues to monitor the system and adjust fan speed based on the current load.
The proprietary ROG GameFirst VI utility is designed to help all users — beginners, experts, and everyone in between — optimize network settings to ensure smooth online gameplay. New to this generation, GameFirst VI features AI enhanced identification and boost technology to ensure faster and smarter network optimization.
How its Work:
- Identification – GameFirst VI analyzes your usage patterns and applications’ digital signatures and compares them to a database of over 200,000 apps. This database is regularly updated to ensure apps are recognized correctly.
- Boost – GameFirst VI intelligent switches application priority and adjusts bandwidth accordingly depending on the situation. When gaming, it accelerates and prioritizes game packets to give you supersmooth online gameplay even when you’re streaming high-quality video to your audience or transferring large files.
- Visualization – An intuitive graph gives you an overview of the network in real-time, simply click on the tab to view the current bandwidth usage of each application, geolocation status of each network connection, and an analysis of the WiFi channels.
What it does?
- Adaptive Intelligence – GameFirst VI takes note of what you’re currently doing and adjusts bandwidth accordingly to ensure smoother online experiences, even when multitasking.
- Gaming First Mode – Gaming First mode leverages a massive application database and analysis of your frequently-used apps to prioritize gaming network traffic. This reduces jitter and decrease ping to give you lag-free online gaming.
- Network Insight – WiFi Quick Assist analyses network information including real-time bandwidth use to generate a graph to give you a clear overview of current network status. On top of that, when paired with a ROG router, you can scan your WiFi network to find the best channel, as well as use Game Boost to prioritize gaming devices and packets on your network for ultrafast online speeds.
Maximus XII Extreme is the ideal foundation for your dream gaming build. An intelligent voltage-regulator module (VRM) design and high-quality components ensure that you’ll get the most out of demanding latest-generation Intel processors. More firepower and an overclocking edge are yours with Maximus XII Extreme.
Featuring premium components, multiple fan headers and a bundled fan extension card, Maximus XII Extreme is fully equipped to enable higher performance at lower temperatures. To ensure system stability under heavy CPU loads, Maximus XII Extreme employs large VRM and chipset heatsinks that strike the right balance between surface area and mass. The extra-large heatsinks also cover multiple M.2 slots.
ROG provides the tools needed to optimize your system quickly and easily. For those who relish complete control, the UEFI BIOS offers advanced customization options so you can tweak every aspect of your system.
Maximus XII Extreme delivers exceptional overclocking performance without requiring a fan for cooling. This is possible thanks to 16 teamed power stages running 90A MOSFETs on it VRM layout. To further improve heat dissipation, the I/O cover act as a large heatsink and there is also a heat pipe bridging the VRM heatsinks, increasing surface area and improving heat dissipation.
Cooler by design
ROG Maximus XII Extreme features the most comprehensive cooling options ever.
Multiple temperature sources
Each header can be set to monitor and react to three user-configurable thermal sensors for workload-based cooling. And all settings can be easily managed by Fan Xpert 4 or UEFI.
4-pin PWM/DC fan
Every onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
Bundled Fan Extension Card II
Bundled cand includes six additional DC or PWM fan headers, plus three thermal-probe headers.
ROG Water-Cooling Zone
Dual water-temperature headers and a flow-rate header feed information straight into the AI Suite utility, allowing you to track coolant temperatures and the flow rate of the entire loop.
A dedicated header can supply over 3 amps to high-performance PWM or DC water pumps.
A dedicated header enables monitoring of temperatures at the input/output points of any component.
A dedicated header enables constant monitoring of flow rate throughout the entire loop.
Fan Extension Card
ROG Maximus XII Extreme includes the new Fan Extension Card II, which adds six headers that area controllable via FanXpert 4. The card features three temperature-sensor headers to complement the one available onboard, and also comes with three thermistors that can be affixed to different components. In addition to supplying extra headers for cooling, it provides three RGB headers to provide illuminated effects for your RGB fan.
ROG Maximus XII Extreme offers advanced connectivity, including WiFi 6 (AX201) and dual Ethernet with intel® 2.5G Ethernet and 10G port to eliminate bottlenecks so you can enjoy exceptionally smooth online and LAN play. Additionally, the M.2 supports Intel® VROC technology to maximize the speed of your SSD for faster load times, and SupremeFX onboard audio provides superb sound while saving a PCIe slot.
|CPU||Intel® Socket 1200 for 10th Gen Intel® Core™, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® Processors|
Supports Intel® 14 nm CPU
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0**
* Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list
**Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 support depends on the CPU types.
|Memory||4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 4800(O.C.)/4700(O.C)/4600(O.C)/4500(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *|
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* 10th Gen Intel® Core™i9/i7 CPUs support 2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 natively, Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
|Multi GPU Support||Supports NVIDIA 2-Way SLI® Technology|
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology
|Expansion Slots||Intel® 10th Gen Processors|
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
Intel® Z490 Chipset
1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 *1
|Storage||Total supports 4 x M.2 slots and 8 x SATA 6Gb/s ports|
Intel® 10th Gen Processors :
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module supports 2 M.2 Socket 3 , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*2
Intel® Z490 Chipset :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support*3
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready
|LAN||Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet|
Marvell® AQtion AQC107 10Gb Ethernet
|Wireless Data Network||Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201|
2×2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax) support 1024QAM/OFDMA/MU-MIMO
Supports up to 2.4Gbps max data rate
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Supports channel bandwidth: HT20/HT40/HT80/HT160
Supports CNVI interface
*BT 5.1 function will be ready in Windows 10 build 19041 or later.
|Audio||ROG SupremeFX 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC S1220|
– Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
– Supports : Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
– High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
– ESS™ ES9023 DAC + RC4580 OP AMP
– Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback
LED-illuminated audio jacks
Audio Feature :
– SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
– Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
– Premium Japanese audio capacitors
– Audio Cover
* Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio.
|USB Ports||Rear USB Port ( Total 12 )|
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 port(s)
3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 port(s)(2 + Type-A +1 + USB Type-CTM)
6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)(6 x Type-A)
2 x USB 2.0 port(s)(2 x Type-A)
Front USB Port ( Total 10 )
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)
|Software Features||ROG Exclusive Software|
– Mem Tweakit
– RAMCache III
– ROG CPU-Z
– GameFirst VI
– Sonic Studio III + Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer
– Sonic Radar III
– DTS® Sound Unbound
– BullGuard Internet Security (1-year full version)
ASUS Exclusive Software
– Aura Creator
– Aura Sync
– OLED Display
AI Suite 3:
– 5-Way Optimization with AI Overclocking
Digi+ Power Control
Fan Xpert 4
– EZ update
AI Overclocking Guide
ASUS EZ DIY
– ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
– ASUS EZ Flash 3
– ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode
|ASUS Special Features||ROG Extreme OC kit|
– EZ PLUG
– FlexKey button
– LN2 Mode
– ReTry button
– Safe boot button
– Start button
– Slow Mode
Extreme Engine Digi+
– 10K Black Metallic Capacitors
– Infineon TDA21490 Power Stage
– MicroFine Alloy Choke
– ASUS Q-Code
– ASUS Q-Connector
– ASUS Q-DIMM
– ASUS Q-LED (CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green])
– ASUS Q-Slot
ASUS Thermal Solution
– Aluminum M.2 heatsink cover
– Steel backplate
ASUS EZ DIY
– BIOS Flashback™ button
– Clear CMOS button
– Procool II
– Pre-mounted I/O shield
– ROG Aura sync backplate
– Standard RGB header(s)
– Addressable Gen 2 RGB header(s)
LiveDash OLED 2″
|BACK I/O Ports||1 x LAN (2.5G) port(s)|
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 port(s) (1 x USB Type-C®)
3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2
6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1
2 x USB 2.0
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
1 x Clear CMOS button(s)
1 x USB BIOS FlashBack™ Button(s)
1 x ASUS Wi-Fi Module
5 x LED-illuminated audio jacks
1 x Aquantia AQC-107 10G LAN port
|Internal I/O Ports||1 x CPU Fan connector(s)|
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
2 x W_PUMP+ connector
1 x WB_SENSOR
8 x Radiator Fan Headers
1 x W_IN header
1 x W_OUT header
1 x W_FLOW header
1 x Node Connector(s)
1 x AAFP connector
2 x Aura RGB Strip Headers
2 x Addressable Gen 2 header(s)
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x M.2 Socket 1 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 2 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)
8 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
1 x Thunderbolt header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
2 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin EZ_PLUG Power connector(s)
1 x Slow Mode switch(es)
8 x ProbeIt Measurement Points
1 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
1 x BIOS Switch button(s)
1 x LN2 Mode jumper(s)
1 x Safe Boot button
1 x ReTry button
1 x System panel connector
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector
1 x Speaker connector
1 x DIMM.2 Slot supports 2 M.2 drives (2242-22110)
2 x RSVD Switch
1 x Start button
1 x FlexKey button
1 x ROG logo plate sticker
3 x M.2 Screw Package
1 x MOS Cooling kit (fan bracket and 40mm x 40mm fan)
1 x Fan Extension Card II (6 x 4-pin Chassis Fan connectors, 3 x RGB headers, 3 x 2-pin Thermal sensor header)
1 x Fan Extension Card II power cable
1 x Fan Extension Card II NODE connector cable
1 x Fan Extension Card II screw package
2 x mini DisplayPort Cable
1 x ROG big sticker
1 x Q-Connector
1 x Wi-Fi Antenna(s)
1 x Extension Cable for RGB strips (80 cm)
1 x Extension cable for Addressable LED
3 x Thermistor cable(s)
1 x USB drive with utilities and drivers
8 x ROG weave SATA 6G cable
1 x ROG DIMM.2 with heatsink
2 x M.2 Pad for ROG DIMM.2
1 x 2-in-1 Rubber pad
1 x ROG Multi-Bit screwdriver
1 x THUNDERBOLTEX 3-TR Card
1 x ASUS TB header cable
1 x USB2.0 Cable
ROG key chain
|BIOS||2 x 256 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS|
|Manageability||WOL by PME, PXE|
|Form Factor||Extended ATX Form Factor|
12 inch x 10.9 inch (30.5 cm x 27.7 cm)
|Note||*1 PCIEx4 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_56 and PCIEx4 slot is default set at x2 mode. Please adjust BIOS settings to enable Thunderbolt card.|
*2 The DIMM.2 Slots are disabled by default. Please adjust BIOS settings to enable DIMM.2 Slots.
*3 When M.2_1 is operating in SATA mode, SATA6G_2 will be disabled.
*4 USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 works at PCIe 3.0 x2 speeds